I keep meeting people who say, “I just don’t get Twitter.” They can’t figure out what kind of practical uses there are for Twitter.
Well, the next time someone asks me why the heck they’d want to use Twitter, I can point them to this list of actual, real things they can do with Twitter.
Here a list of 10 things you can do with Twitter (all in 140 characters or less, of course):
1. Keep up with local, national, & international news, read The Onion, or see what your favorite celebrities are doing.
2. Connect with someone by sending a “nice to meet you” message after you meet, or arrange to get together, again.
3. Share web articles you found interesting with other people in your industry or with your clients.
4. Get help on a technical problem, advice on buying something, or recommendations on restaurants.
5. Help others by answering their question on topics you know something about.
6. Tweet about something new on your site, in your blog, or at your company.
7. Spread the word about emergencies, outages, or find out if that really was an earthquake you just felt.
8. Tell people about upcoming events, a charity fundraiser, or a cool online sale.
9. Blog the most interesting points from a conference you’re attending.
10. Meet and interact with people that you might never know otherwise.
There are other ways to do all of the things on this list, but it’s so easy to do them all in one place. Since Twitter is something different to every person, I hope you’ll share some of the practical uses of Twitter you’ve found. Just leave them in a comment below.
P.S. Ready to start using Twitter? Take a look at “Getting Started with Twitter” for setting up and personalizing your Twitter account.